Monday 20 February 2012

Being a Gay Celebrity



I have often wondered just how hard it was in today’s life to be a celebrity in the spot light and gay at the same time. Coming out for most “normal” and I use normal loosely is a terrifying and traumatic experience at the best of times. Now imagine that if you are famous and known by millions of people.

Coming out can be the most liberating experience in the life of any gay man or woman, but if you are in the spotlight it could also destroy your career (Assuming you had one to start with). We live in an time where being gay is not that big of an issue, but even 10 years ago it was a BIG issue. 

Lest say it was 1985 and you had to publicly admit that you had a male lover as a male actor, firstly you would have been unemployed by the time the interview or press conference was done. Next would come the wave of religious bible thumpers (AkA religious nuts!) telling everyone that you were the reason why everything that ever went wrong was your fault.

Then the hate mail would start, “You are queer, you suck!”  “God created Adam and Eve NOT Adam and Steve” “You are possessed by demons, repent sinner!” (last one came from a family member!)

THEN comes the “please marry me” phase, every single closet queen on the planet now know you are batting for the other team and they will stop at nothing short of death to get you as a husband!

Hi
You don’t know me but I feel like we connected, when I was 11 I walked past a poster of you in the mall and I felt like there was a connection, the way you looked at me, I could feel that you wanted me!
I am 32 now and live with my mother, but she said that it would not be a problem if you come live with me in the basement. I am slightly over weight but the doctor said it’s the baby fat that still needs to fall off, and for my height 387 pounds is not really that much.
It would be an honor to be your husband and I am sure the language barrier will not be a problem.
Love always
Cirril
PS:I have included a picture of me taken just last night, just for you!


Luckily it seems like the world are not that cruel today, just look of the list of celebrities that is out and living “normal” lives.

Times really have changed in the media in terms of being proud and loud about sexuality. From the controversial episode of Ellen where she shouted out that she was gay, to the countless series today with gay characters as the stars. In honor of Gay Pride Month, we took a look at a few celebrities who are out and proud.
ed
Cute couple, Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi weren’t shy about their love when they exchanged vows three years ago.  Ellen told People magazine on that day, "What can I say? I'm the luckiest girl in the world," says DeGeneres. "She's officially off the market. No one else gets her. And now she'll cook and clean for me."
Elton John and David Furnish-SBE-001021.jpg
Elton John and his husband, David Furnish welcomed son, Zachary to their family last Christmas. The couple, who have been together for thirteen years told Us Weekly Magazine, “We are overwhelmed with happiness and joy at this very special moment. Zachary is healthy and doing really well, and we are very proud and happy parents."
nph
Neil Patrick Harris may play womanizer, Barney Stinson on CBS’ How I Met Your Mother, but in real life he found love in husband, David Burtka. He confirmed his sexuality in November 2006, saying "I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."
Jane Lynch, Dr. Lara Embry-AES-028841.jpg
Fox’s hit show Glee has openly addressed many gay issues on the show with Chris Colfer’s character, Kurt Hummel. And in real like, Sue Sylvester aka Jane Lynch is married to clinical psychologist Dr. Lara Embry. This show is just changing television in many different aspects.
cn
Sex and the City star, Cynthia Nixon wasn’t always openly gay. She was once married to English professor Danny Mozes for fifteen years with whom she has two children, Samantha and Charles. But in 2004, she surprised us all when she began dating Christine Marinoni. She told the press,  “In terms of sexual orientation I don’t really feel I’ve changed... I’d been with men all my life, and I’d never fallen in love with a woman. But when I did, it didn’t seem so strange. I’m just a woman in love with another woman.”
Cher and Chaz Bono-BBC-020597.jpg
Cher and Sonny Bono’s daughter, Chastity Bono recently made headlines when she announced she was in a relationship with a woman and was undergoing a procedure to become a man. Now known as Chaz Bono, momma Cher is still very proud of her son.
Melissa Etheridge-AAG-002041.jpg
Grammy Award winner, Melissa Etheridge, is not only a proud rocker chick, but a strong activist in the gay community as well. Since her public coming out in 1993, she has been a fierce influence in gay rights and same sex marriage.
g
It wasn’t until 2005 that Star Trek star, George Takei announced to Frontiers magazine that he was gay and has been in a committed relationship with his partner, Brad Altman, for eighteen years. Since then, George has been a strong activist in the gay community. He said about coming out, "It's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen.”
tk
T.R. Knight, star of ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy, came out in 2006 after an argument on the set involving co-stars Patrick Dempsey and Isaiah Washington. He told People magazine, “I guess there have been a few questions about my sexuality, and I'd like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there. While I prefer to keep my personal life private, I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me.”
mf
ABC’s Modern Family brought family comedy back to the television amongst all the reality TV hoopla. They got it right when casting gay couple, Cam (Eric Stonestreet - straight in real life) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson).  Check out the hilarious video below of Ferguson describing his real life coming out and his co-stars "gay for pay" status.

and many many many more!

Pop superstar Ricky Martin is reportedly due to marry his lover Carlos Gonzalez Abella on the 28th of January, this month in New York City.  Although Ricky has hinted that he was engaged, he never officially released a date for the wedding, but it has now been leaked online by a source close to the couple.




 Congrats seems in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment